What about two tables, one would have this:
carID
carCompany
carPayload
etc...

the second this:
position
carID

This table would be static and if a car was not present in certain conditions
they would contain (-1) for the carID.  Then finding an empty slot to place an
incoming car should be doable (stepping through to find (-1), and when a car is
removed from a slot, then you could update the list, just dump out
the 'current' order into an array, and then you would be able to sort, order,
etc...

Hope this makes sense.
-Brad