There are two ways that I know of the adjacency model
and nested sets.

adjacency model uses a table structure like
category_id | parent_id | category_name

so if i want to see all categories belonging to
category 12
-> SELECT * FROM cat_table WHERE parent_id=12;

there are a few articles out there on this. not sure
where at the moment, but you know what its called now.

here are some articles about the nested set model. A
little more difficult but with great benefits

-> http://www.dbmsmag.com/9603d06.html

->
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci537290,00.html

->