Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Got it fixed. Just added a couple
lines of code -
$sql1 = "select * from endusers where name like '$name'";
   $result1 = mysql_query($sql1);
         $count1 = mysql_num_rows($result1);
         if ($count1 == "0" )
   $sql = "insert into endusers......blah blah blah

Now it works fine, no more duplicate entries. Just for those who asked -
this is a database of end-user names
and addresses for a mailing list. The questions posted are kept by the
department that responded to them.
No one here has ever asked or implied a need to have the messages saved to
the database, what they do
with the message is their game, not mine. I'm just cleaning up their
existing code a bit.

Miles Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 06/04/2003
08:31:14 AM: