Don't know, but it doesn't make sense to me -- Apache executes scripts based on the file extension, how can it process both languages?

A possible work around would be to have the Ruby program exec()'d within PHP.

Alternately, do Ruby pages, but embed PHP as PHP is presently embedded in HTML with opening closing tags. How you tell Ruby to exec the PHP I don't know.