We have an internal document storage system that was developed over 6 months ago that
uses PHP (4.2.0) on a Unix server with Apache to access a PostgreSQL database, with
IE5.5 as the designated user browser. The system is used to store documents like .jpg,
.doc, .html, .pdf, .xls etc, allowing users to search for relevant documents,
downloading/viewing those documents they are interested in. This system has worked
with no problems until 6-7 weeks ago when our administrators applied the Microsoft
security patch Q323759 (MS02-047). Now IE5.5 and IE6 are unable to retrieve any
documents that require another program to be opened for viewing, like PDFs and Word
documents. On trying to access these documents the user is prompted to either Open or
Save the document (an unwanted proecss, we want to just open every time where
possible). Regardless of the option then chosen the following error is given:

Internet Explorer cannot download 'filename' from 'server'.
Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The required site is either
unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.

Please note that the 'filename' is being exhibited as the address to the page
executing the download code (show_ind_doc.php?theid=185), and 'server' is the
appropriate server name.

Images like GIFs and JPEGs, and HTML documents still open OK as they are 'viewable'
within IE, it's just those that require another program that don't work. This code
still works in other browsers, like Netscape and Opera. The code is below, any
assistance with configuring the 'header' sections would be appreciated, the other use
contributed notes on the header section of php.net have not been able to help me at
this time.

<?php

function do_con() {

global $connection;

$host = "server";
$user = "username";
$pass = "password";
$db = "sedocs";
$port = "5432";

$connection = pg_connect ("host=$host port=$port user=$user dbname=$db");

if (!$connection)
{
        die("Could not open connection to database server");

do_con();

$id = $HTTP_GET_VARS["theid"];

$result = pg_Exec($connection, "select * from sedocs where id = ".$id);
$row = pg_fetch_row($result, 0);
$num_rows = pg_num_rows($result);

$id = $row[3];
$length = $row[6];
$filename = $row[7];
$doctype = $row[5];

header('Content-Type: '.$doctype);
header('Content-Length: '.$length);
header('Content-Disposition: inline; filename="'.$filename.'"');

pg_exec ($connection, "begin");

$handle=pg_lo_open($connection, $id,"r");
$buffer=pg_lo_read($handle, $length );

pg_lo_close($handle);
pg_exec ($connection, "end");
pg_close();

echo($buffer);
?>

Thanks very much

Rob

Robin Ellis
Information & Knowledge
Department of Natural Resources and Mines
PO Box 1167
Bundaberg QLD 4670
ph +61 7 4131 5771
fax +61 7 4131 5823
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

and/or publication of this e-mail message is prohibited.
computer system network.