Next question....
How can I show how many of each there were?
SO now I have

breafast
lunch
dinner

I want to have

breafast        2
lunch           3
dinner          3

etc...
is that just as easy?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
07/08/2003 14:42

        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cc:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject:        Re: [PHP-DB] Breaking down a table field....

SELECT DISTINCT(Unit) from TABLE_NAME;

                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      sungard.com                 To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                                  cc:
                      08/07/2003 09:37 AM         Subject:  [PHP-DB]
Breaking down a table field....

I have a table, wth many entries.
Each entry has been asigned a unit to belong to.

I want to list all the units dynamically.
How can I display all the units, without displaying each instance of the
unit?

EG:

Unit                    item
breakfast               cereal
breakfast               toast
lunch                   salad
lunch                   sandwich
dinner                  steak
dinner                  pie
lunch                   soup
dinner                  lasagne

and so on..
I'd wanna get a list of:
breafast
lunch
dinner

not several instances of each...
how can I do this?

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for
the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent
notified that you have received this document in error and that any
review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is
please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.