I believe this is only applicable to fields of type "text".  It may have
no effect on varchar(>255) fields.  The purpose of this statement is to
limit the amount of memory allocated by the driver for text data. If it is
not specified, the driver will try to allocate 2GB of memory.  The
extension sets this value to 4096 by default.

-- bob