i new i forgot to include something.

here this is the ouput.  it looks like its using none of my indexes in the
Response, which is where i would think it would need it the most.

+--------+--------+---------------+--------+---------+--------+--------+--------+
| table  | type   | possible_keys | key    | key_len | ref    | rows   |
Extra  |
+--------+--------+---------------+--------+---------+--------+--------+--------+
| Response| ALL    | [NULL]        | [NULL] | [NULL]  | [NULL] | 126732 |
Using temporary; Using filesort|
| Question| eq_ref | PRIMARY       | PRIMARY| 4       |
Response.Question_Key| 1      | where used|
+--------+--------+---------------+--------+---------+--------+--------+--------+

even on the second query where there is no join, its not using the keys.
+--------+--------+---------------+--------+---------+--------+--------+--------+
| table  | type   | possible_keys | key    | key_len | ref    | rows   |
Extra  |
+--------+--------+---------------+--------+---------+--------+--------+--------+
| Response| ALL    | [NULL]        | [NULL] | [NULL]  | [NULL] | 126732 |
Using temporary|
+--------+--------+---------------+--------+---------+--------+--------+--------+

Thanks,
Jeff

                      "CPT John W.

                      Holmes"                  To:       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        cc:

                      rter.net>                Subject:  Re: [PHP-DB] sql optimizing
assistance

                      09/19/2003 03:59

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      "CPT John W.

                      Holmes"

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I have two tables and am running a simple join between them to get
> questions and their repsective response averages from a survey.  The
> question table has 49 rows and the Response table has 126,732.  I'd like
> cut down on the time its taking to run this specific query...as i'll be
> running many like it to generate reports. The query below is the
selecting
> the most data, normally this will be limited to specific groups by
joining
> more tables.
>
> I am executing the following query
> SELECT Question.Text_Long, AVG( Response ) FROM `Response` INNER JOIN
> Question ON Question.Question_Key = Response.Question_Key WHERE
> Question.Question_Key LIKE '2003%' GROUP BY Response.Question_Key ORDER
BY
> Question.Question_Key ASC

What does EXPLAIN tell you for this query? Is it using your indexes?

---John Holmes...