we have a number of csv dumps that occasionally have to be used to update tables
in a postgres database...

normally this is done by uploading the file and whomever running a php based
parser which opens the file into an array, does a split on the comma, then
executes an insert or update to the database with the split array values.

we have a new upload that involves a 143mb file, compared to previous upload
sizes of 10k to 150k.  Is there a more efficient way to handle this rather than
having PHP load the entire file into an array (which would have to be in memory
during the operation, correct?).

thanks

Dave