Problem is, REGEX will only test for a match, not returning anything other
than 0|1

You can instead:

1. Use a UDF doing just that (counting occurences in a string):
http://www.tsc.ro/free/
(haven't tried it myself, because no Windows dll available)

2. Replace successively all figures by '' and count length:
SELECT
CHARACTER_LENGTH(
    REPLACE(
     REPLACE(
      mycol,
      '1', ''
     ) ,
     '2', ''
    )
)
... and recurse - ugly, but works

3. Try successive REGEX matching the number of ',' with an integer

4. Best, of course, normalize your DB. But this may not be an option...

HTH
Ignatius