From: Gavin Amm Sent: Thursday, 27 November 2003 4:00 PM
Subject: [PHP-DB] Decent Search Engine (for MySQL)

Hi All,

I'm after a tutorial, if you can point me to one I'd appreciate it.

I want to create a search script that will look through tables/fields
(that I specify) in a MySQL database.

I don't want to use the MySQL full text searching (as I'm using an ISP
database & the default min word length is >3, we have a number of words
that are 3 chars & need them to be picked up in the search) & I really
hope there are better options than the "LIKE" command (These seem to be
very popular from my searching).

Your best bet is probably if you don't want to use LIKE. Other than that, you can get all of the data dn do the searching in PHP, but that's pretty much always going to be worse than a LIKE.

paperCrane <Justin Patrin>

PHP Database Mailing List (
To unsubscribe, visit: