From: Robert Twitty [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2004 6:38 PM
To: Michael Flanagan
Cc: Php-Db
Subject: RE: [PHP-DB] MS SQL 'Changed database context' error

Hi Michael

Prior to executing a query with the PEAR mssql DB driver, the driver will
always call mssql_select_db().  The db that was specified in the DSN is
the one that is selected.  If the db is changed after connecing via a
query, i.e., "use AnotherDB", this will cause a problem if the context is
changed back to the original DB.  Are you changing the DB after
connecting?

-- bob

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Michael Flanagan wrote:

> Robert,
>
> Believe it or not, it's a simple SELECT statement!  (I'm not even aware
> that I'm changing context, nor exactly what that means.  I thought that
> if I used the same $db resource, things would be fine.)  Other SELECTs
work,
> but
> not this particular one!  Here's the script (the FindInDb function below
> has, of course, been called from a prior script):
>
>     /**
>      * Find the record in the db that matches the Encounter info.
>      *
>      * If $updateObject is TRUE, then we update the object's fields with
>      * values from the matching record in the database record.
>      */
>     function FindInDb(&$db, $updateObject, &$errStr)
>     {
>         global $DbOwner;      // null string ("") for MS Sql Server
>
>         if (!IsSet($this->_deviceId) || !(IsSet($this->_timeStart))) {
>             $errStr .=
>               "Encounter::FindInDb: either _deviceId or _timeStart is
> NULL.";
>             return FALSE;
>         }
>
>         $sql = "SELECT * from {$DbOwner}Encounter " .
>                "WHERE (Device_key = $this->_deviceId) AND " .
>                "      (Time_start = " .
>                  ToDate($this->_timeStart, "RRRR-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS") . ")";
>         if (!UseOrOpenDb($db, $closeDb, $errStr))
>             return FALSE;
>
>         $result = GetInfoFromDbHelper($db, $sql, $errStr);
>
> and so on.
>
> The routine UseOrOpenDb looks at $db to see if it's a valid
> $db connection.  If not, it opens a new one.  I've determined
> that FindInDb is always passed a valid $db, so UseOrOpen doesn't
> open a fresh one.
>
> /**
>  * Determine whether a db resource is already open; open one if not
>  *
>  * In many places we pass a $db resource to a routine.  That resource
might
>  * not be open, in which case the called routine should open the db.
>  */
> function UseOrOpenDb(&$db, &$dbOpened, &$errorString)
> {
>     if (!$db) {
>         if (!($db = GetDbConnection ($errorString))) {
>             return FALSE;
>         }
>         $dbOpened = TRUE;
>     }
>     else {
>         $dbOpened = FALSE;
>     }
>     return TRUE;
> }
>
> GetInfoFromDbHelper simply executes the SQL string:
>
> function GetInfoFromDbHelper ($db, &$select, &$errorString)
> [...]
The