I am trying to find data, or if not found set a variable to "Err".  myvalue being a
variable in my database and $zchar being my value to find.

The following result is never 1 even if no values were found, so the result is always
2.  If the finding value does exist in my database this does find the correct value:
if (!$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM bivalues WHERE myvalue = '$zchar'"))
{
echo 'result 1 - not found';
$myresut = "Err";
}
else
{
{echo 'result 2 - found it'
}

The following result is never 2 even if the value actually exist in my database, so
the result is always 1:
if (!$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM bivalues WHERE myvalue = $zchar"))
{
echo 'result 1 - not found';
$myresult = "Err";
}