have a form that I would like to validate before it is submitted to the DB.

I am having trouble with a couple of sections.

I have a select box with a listing of all the states, the first option is
"Choose One" with a value of "0". Would this be the correct way to
"validate" this field?

<CODE>

$state = $_POST['state'];

if ($state = 0) {

            print '<p>Please select your State</p>';

            }

</CODE>

Second, another part of the same form I have fields for phone numbers, once
the field is submitted I would like to join the 3 sections of areacode, nxx
and prefix. I have done this to join them, is this correct?

<CODE>

$phone = $_POST['p-areacode'] . - . $_POST['p-prefix']. - .
$_POST['p-suffix'];

</CODE>

The next question id for both phone number and area code.

If I want to validate the zip code and ensure a minimum of X characters in
the field, numbers only how would I do this?

Would this be somewhat on the right track?

<CODE>

If ($zip str >5) {

print '<p>Please enter your Zip Code (EX. 77662)</p>';

            }

</CODE>

And for the phone number I would assume I could use:

<CODE>

If ($_POST['p-areacode'] str >3 ) {

print '<p>Please enter your Area Code (EX. 77662)</p>';

            }

</CODE>

I am still new with PHP, any help would be appreciated. Below is the code I
have sofar: