See my response interspersed:

--- M Saleh EG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You should always avoid passing Record IDs through
> URL parameters.
> Use form Hidden fields instead!

I agree.  Even as someone with limited experience.
That is why I'm trying to figure out the right way to
do it.  The record ID is hidden in form itself.
The way to get to the update form for that record is
via a hyperlink. I'm not sure how to get the user to
the update form without the hyperlink or how to hide
the id part of the url parameter in the link.

> In your case, when ur selecting the users form data
> from the record check if it's the same user if not
> then if he tries to change the ID from the URI
> Parameter just block it.

Yes, I think this is the way to go.  And I'm halfway
there, in that , if someone changed the id and brought
up another users record, and they attempted to make
changes the update would fail.

So I'm going to ask, how does PHP stop a URL from
being changed ?  Are there specific functions that
block that type of activity ?

> I personaly dont recommand using url parameters for
> passing record ids, i'd rather use hidden inputs,
> sessions, or even  cookies but never URI
querystrings > for record ids.

Can you explain a bit further how an hidden input
might work ?

> Better use of URI querystrings would be for logic,
> section, category,
> decision, options rather than important data such as
> ur table primary
> keys!

Agreed!

> Hope this is useful.

Very useful, thank you!

Stuart

-------------------------------------------------------------->>

<<--------------------------------------------------------------
> > "Stuart Felenstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> message

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > > I'm restarting this post.  I thought I was out
> of the
> > > woods, but not.
> > > Here situation, in most of my update forms which
> > > involve 1 record, passing a session variable ,
> usually
> > > the users ID is enough. No URL param passing.
> > >
> > > Not so in two update forms I have where there
> are
> > > multiple records for each user.  If I pass a
> session
> > > variable it only brings up the first record.  So
> > > unless I am missing something, I must pass the
> record
> > > ID via a URL parameter.  That works just great,
> but
> > > the problems lies in the fact, that all anyone
> would
> > > need to do is change recordID=1 to recordID=2
> and they
> > > can see someone elses record, which is supposed
> > > confidential.
> > >
> > > Now I've looked at sights like Monster, Amazon,
> Ebay,
> > > and tried changing the recordID in the URL area,
> but
> > > it either ignores my change or kicked back an
> invalid
> > > ID.
> > > This is even if I remove the other ID's from the
> line.
> > >

> > > So, I'm sure this has been dealt with more, I
> don't
> > > have the foggiest clue yet though how I can
> implement
> > > something that either hides, or prevents a user
> from
> > > going through records in the database by
> changing the
> > > id number.
> > >
> > > Appreciate any suggestions or ideas.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > > Stuart
> > >

> > > --- Stuart Felenstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> the

> to the
> information.
> user's