There are many facters that have to be considered to make a proper
decision. First, as you have stated, mssql offers many features not
available in mysql. If these featuers are important, then you should
choose mssql.  However, PHP's support for mysql is much better than its
support for mssql.  PHP's "out of the box" support for mssql is limited
and inconsistent accross platforms. In fact, its support is much better on
non-Win32 machines than it is on Win32 machines. This is not surprising
since it relies on DB-Library for WIn32 systems, and FreeTDS for non-Win32
systems.

-- bob