You could make life really simple and write csv document (excel loves those as long as you handle the data right)....force the file to download with the additional add-type header set to vnd/ms-excel and excel opens it up automagically...much simpler, no?

we do this for (gasp) asp data to excel all the time....

bastien

From: Antoine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PHP-DB] Re: [PEAR] Pear installation error
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 21:01:29 +0200

On 8 Oct 2004 17:03:15 -0000, Kevin Kraeer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm a one man band working for an ad agency...good times. At any rate, a
> client has requested that form values submitted through their website be
> written to an excel document.
>
> I investigated and decided PEAR was probably my best bet (there's an excel
> writer module if I understand correctly). So, I began what has become a
> quest to successfully install PEAR to our staging server.
>
> It's a Win2K Server running IIS and PHP 4.3.6. Whoever initially installed
> PHP 4 did not install PEAR along with it for some reason. So I decided to
> run the command line installer, with the following directories set up:
>
> Installation prefix - C:\PHP\pear
> Binaries Directory - $prefix\bin
> PHP code directory - $ prefix\docs
> Documentation base directory - $prefix\docs
> Data Base Directory - $prefix\data
> Tests Directory - $prefix\tests
> php.exe Path - C:\PHP\php.exe
>
> I then run the installer, and it does fine for a while. Then, after
> 'Extracting Installer....' appears I get this:
>
> Warning: main(PEAR.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
> in C:\PHP\pear\Archive\Tar.php on line 21
>
> Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'PEAR.php'
> (include_path='/C:\DOCUME~1\ADMIN~1.ORB\LOCALS~1\Temp\3\gop1c.tmp') in
> C:\PHP\pear\Archive\Tar.php on line 21
>
> So it seems pretty clear that it's an include path problem to me. In my
> PHP.ini, go-pear added
>
> include_path=".;C:\php\pear"
>
> So maybe I need to change that to someplace else? But I'm also not so sure
> about that forward slash in front of 'C:\DOCUME~`.....'
>
> Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. As I said, I'm on a solo
> mission over here - no IT guys, no programming dept. Just ME. heh.

This is probably going to get me flamed terribly, or rather completely
ignored...
If it is just you, why on earth don't you upgrade to a real operating
system? *nix + apache[1-2] + php is go beautifully together..., won't
cost you anything in licencing (assuming you don't get a proprietary
unix), and is much less likely to be troubled by viruses and
whatnot... I say this because usually the installation of these three
packages is done with about 5 clicks, and gets configured pretty much
by itself (of course, if you want security and stuff, you have to
change the config, but I am sure that is not different to IIS...).
Just a suggestion.
Cheers
Antoine

--
G System, The Evolving GUniverse - http://www.g-system.at

Powerful Parental Controls Let your child discover the best the Internet has to offer. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNŽ Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.