I've got some strange mysql behavior, wondered if anyone encountered it.

I have a database with some float(4,3) fields.
I have a version of this running on mysql 4.0[.23], and another running
on mysql 4.1[.7].
When I insert, for example, 12 into it - the 4.0 version stores '12.00'
- but the 4.1 version stores '9.999'.  It seems that mysql made a change
somewhere between 4.0 and 4.1 to force the decimal space of floats.

This is all well and good, I rather like losing data - it builds
character - but I've thoroughly checked their changelogs and have found
nothing to indicate this behavior change.

It's likely a change for sql compliance - but just to forewarn anyone
who may want to do an upgrade - this isn't an issue I've found written
out anywhere.

Has anyone seen this anywhere?

****
Incidentally, I tried to warn that this was O  -  T...
> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at pb1.pair.com.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
addresses. This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't
work out.
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Apparent off-topic email rejected.
It's good to know that you can post O  -  T to a list, but if you dare
to indicate it as such (with the bracketed Oh-Tee indicator at the start
of the subject) as a service to those uninterested, your mail won't go
through.  That's good policy - stomp on the good citizens and make them
misbehave.

Cheers,
- Martin Norland, Database / Web Developer, International Outreach x3257

The opinion(s) contained within this email do not necessarily represent
those of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.