Hi,

I have a MySQL varchar column which I wish to display. Most of the
entries are numbers eg 1, 2, 3 etc etc. But some are numbers and letters
eg 34A, 34B, 35A.

When I display the column I am able to sort by number using the "order
by column_name+0" command, as in:

$result = mysql_query("SELECT id, house, pen, date_format(start,'%M %D,
%Y') as start, date_format(end,'%M %D, %Y') as end, details FROM
animalhouse WHERE house='old' ORDER BY pen+0") or die (mysql_error());

However, it doesn't sort the letters properly, so I get 34B, 34A, 34C
etc etc.

Is there a simple way for me to make it sort by number first and then by
letter?

Thanks
Justin