why not create one account to use the db and use table based authentication? Same for email?

bastien

From: Henry Ortega <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: php-db@lists.php.net
Subject: [PHP-DB] authenticating using system user list
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:54:17 -0500

I have a database program using postgres and having
a PHP front end. It requires people to login to gain access.
Everyone who needs to login to that database program has
a system user account in that machine. (since it's also the
email server)

What is the best way to authenticate using
the system users/passwd? (/etc/shadow ?) I hate to create a a new set
of username/password in postgres for each person just
to be able to login to this program. And it would really
help a lot because they don't have to remember two
passwords.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks