how about :

SELECT (count( b.unique_id ) + 1) ranking
FROM table_name a, table_name b
WHERE a.unique_id = '000000004' AND b.score > a.score

Mike wrote:
Let's say I have a database and I want to find the position of a row when it is
ordered by a specific column

before a sort:

UNIQUE ID   | SCORE
000000001   | 100
000000002   | 50
000000003   | 30
000000004   | 80
000000005   | 50

after sort:

UNIQUE ID   | SCORE
000000001   | 100
000000004   | 80
000000002   | 50
000000005   | 50
000000003   | 30

is it posible to find the position of 000000004 with a query or mysql function?

Normally I'd just 'SELECT unique_id FROM table ORDER DESC' then loop through
the results looking for a matching id, however my table contains thousands of
entries, and it's simply not possible do do it that way.

Thanks
Mike

--
Tatang Widyanto
Unit Pengkajian dan Penerapan Teknologi Informasi