No change on either variation. I also tried WHERE field2 = 1 OR field1 < 3 as well as omitting the ORDER BY clause.

Regarding INDEX: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/mysql-indexes.html " If a multiple-column index exists on col1 and col2, the appropriate rows can be fetched directly. If separate single-column indexes exist on col1 and col2, the optimizer tries to find the most restrictive index by deciding which index finds fewer rows and using that index to fetch the rows."

From the docs, I would have thought that an INDEX on field2 is all I needed,
but perhaps I need an index on (field1, field2) since they are both in the where clause?

I didn't add the INDEX on field1. Would you explain a little more about them? field1 is already a PRIMARY key and listed in the Indexes box in phpmyadmin as Type:PRIMARY. I did create an INDEX on field2 and it is listed in the Indexes box in phpmyadmin as Type:INDEX. But apparently they are both "indexes". Also, do you mean create a separate index for field1 or some kind of composite index {i.e. multiple-column index} on (field1, field2)? (field2, field3) would actually be a unique composite key, so I was wondering if some type of composite index on (field2, field3) would be better. Then again, any combination with field1 would also be unique.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Micah Stevens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <php-db@lists.php.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 12:33 PM
Subject: Re: [PHP-DB] SELECT Performance and INDEXing

Okay, well, I guess that EXPLAINS it.. (bad joke.. sorry.)

Not being a huge expert on the inner working on MySQL, I'm at a loss to
explain why this is happening exactly, but it's clear that MySQL is choosing
to do a filesort over 6400 rows with the first statement. This is probably
due to it's inability to index based on your where statement.

The other statements can index out much smaller result sets, then order then
and deliver (8 & 10 respectively) therefore accomplishing much faster.

What I would do at this point, is play with reordering, or rewriting the SQL
for the first statement to see if that makes a difference. I know if JOIN
statements, the order of the WHERE condition can make a huge difference.
Here's an example that assumes Field1 will never be less than 1. This may be
an incorrect assumption, but it illustrates my point:

SELECT field1, field2, andUpToField10
FROM theTable
WHERE field1 < 3
OR field2 = 1
ORDER BY field1 ASC

-or-

SELECT field1, field2, andUpToField10
FROM theTable
WHERE field1 = 1
OR field1 = 2
OR field2 = 1
ORDER BY field1 ASC
(this is just subtly different, but I'd be curious if it affects the outcome)

Also, add an index on field1 and field2 if you don't already, as that may
help. (sometimes it doesn't, depending on data type)

I hope that helps,
-Micah