first~ may be you can change these:
$ssql = "select * from table ORDER by Name";
$rs = mssql_query($ssql,$conn);
$total_records = mssql_num_rows($rs);
to:
$ssql = "SELECT COUNT(*) AS TOTAL FROM TABLE";
$rs = mssql_squery($ssql,$conn);
$total_records = mssql_result("TOTAL");//may not this function, I forget it
:-( , I've never touch PHP for months...
for getting better perfomance~
2nd.
$ssql = "SELECT * FROM TABLE ORDER BY NAME LIMIT ".$start.",".
($start+$page_size);
$rs = mssql_query($ssql);
/*
display the results~