Some good ideas in this (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-dev&m=98193543028899&w=2) post...

Here is one (http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/deployphp/lim_deployphp.html) from oracle on this as well

Bastien

From: "Marcos R. Cardoso" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: php-db@lists.php.net
Subject: [PHP-DB] Limited connections to the database
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:36:41 -0300

Hello to everyone,

we have been using an Apache server here at work (I work in a Library) where PHP/ASP scripts query the database very frequently (in the near future only PHP scripts will be used). The DBAs have recently complained that our webserver is performing the queries in a high speed and many times in a second. It worried them and they are asking if we could limit the connections to the database to a low number. As an example they told us that other applications in other webserver uses Tomcat to run Java, and there they managed to limit the number of active connections at the same time.

I would like to know if it's possible to make something similar, and I'd like to know too if we have to configure the PHP or the Apache.

Our environment is listed below:

Windows 2003 Server
Apache 2.0.54
PHP 4.4.0
Sun Chili!Soft ASP 3.6.2
MySQL 4.0.20a
Oracle 9i (through a Oracle 8i NetClient)

TIA,
Marcos R. Cardoso
Blumenau
Brazil