Hello,

on 12/31/2005 03:11 PM Jean-Philippe BATTU said the following:
I would like to send email from my php program. So I use the mail() function
from php engine but I noticed that the  accentuated characters were not well
transmitted by php or the apache server (I use a linux box with FC4 and httpd
server).

In the phpinfo function, I saw the LANG environnement variable was set to
en_US...., so I fixed it to fr_FR.... in the system file /etc/sysconfig/18n
and reboot the machine, phpinfo gave me the correct french LANG. The result
is still the same

the apache server gave me incorrect languages in server-info, so I corrected
the DefautLanguage directive and Priority Languages directives in the httpd.conf
file. Restart apache and server-info gave me correct information, but the
result is still the same.

I am in trouble, because the mutt linux program send well the  accentuated
characters. I studied the difference between two mails, from mute and from
php, and apparently the order definition after the Date aren't the same.

I tried to use the phpmailer class, but the problem persists. I use php 4.3.10

The workaround I found is to use the mutt command from php by the system
function, but it is a pity !

Do you know this problem ?

You need to use ISO-8859-1 characters set and q-encoding for using 8 bit characters in the headers and quoted-printable in the body.

This is not so simple. You may want to try the MIME message class for composing and sending messages that even comes with an example of how to send messages with accents in the subject header and the body:

http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos