I have various tables where a column is set to auto_increment in my
table structure.  I have been using the following INSERT query format:

INSERT INTO table VALUES ('$auto_increment_variable','$variable_1',
'$variable_2')

and then in applications where I have needed to know the value of the
$auto_increment_variable I have immediately queried the table for
$variable_1 and $variable_2 and used

$reference = mysql_result($result,$i,"reference");

to determine what numeric value was assigned.

Is there a way I may find out what value was assigned to the
$auto_increment_variable when the INSERT INTO query is issued?

Thanks.

Ron