On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Eduardo Bejar wrote:

Hi,

I have a MySQL database with encrypted passwords, that were created with:

$input_password = $_POST["password"];
$salt = "ab"; /// Salt is always two character string and the same for all
$password_to_save = crypt($input_password, $salt);
[snip]

This used to work on a PC that runs PHP 4.1.2 and MySQL 3.23.36. But when
trying this on other PC that runs PHP 4.3.11 and MySQL 3.23.58, I get no
password match, as $password_to_check is different from the one stored in
the database.

In example: $password_to_check shows "ab2vG8KakAAGY" and the stored one is
"abFcR2QZ/2fUU".

What could be causing this? How should I compare the passwords?

http://us2.php.net/crypt

seems to say that crypt varies b/n operating systems. Or perhaps it's just using a different encryption algorithm. Check the above url for details...

-philip