SELECT count(  *  )
FROM  `bsp_area`
GROUP  BY boroughID ORDER BY count(*) DESC LIMIT 1

Bastien

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: "Bastien Koert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED], php-db@lists.php.net
Subject: RE: [PHP-DB] Using MAX with COUNT?
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 20:25:57 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Bastien and all,

Bastien wrote:
> SELECT count(*) FROM  `bsp_area` GROUP  BY boroughID

...which returns all the counts, but I'm only interested in the one with
the most areas, so I did it like this:

SELECT count(  *  )
FROM  `bsp_area`
GROUP  BY boroughID ORDER BY count(*) DESC

...which forces the borough with the most areas to the top, so I can just
grab the first row. Probably not the best way to do it since ideally I'd
like only one row in the return set, but it gets the job done.

If anyone has a suggestion to return just the row with the most areas that
would be great.

Skip