Would you please give any suggestions or hints about storing data into MySQL.

I have a site where I use MySQL database to store usually Arabic texts. I use a custom contorl panel to store/retrieve the Arabic texts from the database. Everything up to now is OK.

But When I try to open the database directly using (say phpmyadmin) the Arabic texts does not appear correctly. Its appears something like 'ãä ÇáÐí äÇÕÑ ÅÓÑÇÆíáÇð ¿'.

The default charset of the database/table is latin1. I know it's a matter of encoding used. But how can I be able to view the data directly correctly ???