Hi

it would be helpful if you pasted to us the error u are getting. So instead
of runquery($dbquery, $link_resource);
use this:
runquery($dbquery, $link_resource) or die(mysql_error());
which will echo out the error.

On 3/28/07, Jvhcom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hello Neil and Chris,

Here are the database-related functions that reside in their own separate
file:

function connecttodatabase() {
    global $link_resource;
    if(!($link_resource=mysql_connect('host', 'user_name', 'password'))) {
        printf("Error connecting to host %s, by user %s", 'host',
'user_name');
    exit();
    }

    if(!mysql_select_db('databasename', $link_resource)) {
        printf("Error in selecting %s database", 'databasename');
        printf("ERROR:%d %s", mysql_errno($link_resource),
mysql_error($link_resource));
        exit();

function runquery($dbquery, $link_resource) {
    global $result;
    global $numberRows;
    $result = mysql_query($dbquery, $link_resource);
    if (!$result) {
        printf("Error in executing: %s ", $dbquery);
        printf("ERROR: %d %s", mysql_errno($link_resource),
mysql_error($link_resource));
    exit();
    } else {
        $numberRows = mysql_num_rows ($result);

Here is the dropdown list function that lives in a separate file with
other
dropdown functions
in which I use the database functions.

function dd_company($company_id = 0) {
    $dbquery="SELECT id, name from companies where enabled = 'yes' order
by
name";
    connecttodatabase();
    runquery($dbquery, $link_resource);
    global $dd_company;
    $dd_company .= "<option></option>\n";
    while ($row=mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
        $dd_company .= "<Option value=\"$row[id]\"";
        if($company_id == $row[id]) {
            $dd_company .= " selected>$row[name]</option>\n";
        } else {
            $dd_company .= ">$row[name]</option>\n";

Lastly, I call the dd_company() function with the intent to use the
resulting $dd_company dropdown.

The error is generated in that last function on the 'runquery($dbquery,
$link_resource);' line.

So, are you saying that I should be making the $link_resource global in
the
runquery function instead of the connecttodatabase function?

I would like to use the database functions if I can get it right. In the
past I've always just included separate files that contained the
statements
rather than defining functions. That works fine, but I'd rather be able to
do it this way.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]