I tried using pdo (www.php.net/pdo) as it would be nice for my projects to be portable to another database systems, but quickly ran into problems.

The lesser important: One time, there was a simple typo in one of my queries and I got an error that php is not able to save session variables at the given path - I'm not joking! I worked several hours to solve that session problem just to realize the query had a bracket to few. I already got other errors in my queries where I was given a correct error trace, this is quite confusing.

Can't comment on that one but if you can prove it in a small test script, post a bug report on http://bugs.php.net

The bigger important: I was not able to build nested queries.

Post your code. I doubt that the guys that developed PDO would stop something like this.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/