ministry_directory_listing_categories.ministry_directory_category_reference =
10 AND
> ministry_directory_listing_categories.ministry_directory_category_reference = 11

Can a record really have a reference for two different id's like this? ie can it be both '10' and '11' at the same time?

What's actually in the table for ministry_directory_listing_categories for this record?

For long table names, I'd also suggest using a table alias to make it easier to read/write:

select * from table1 as a inner join table2 as b using(id)
where a.field_name='1' and b.fieldname='5';

saves you having to write out 'ministry_directory_listing_categories' and 'ministry_directory'.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/