Ok.  I have the index created.

ALTER TABLE `shopping_cart_product` ADD FULLTEXT
( `product_description`,`product_name` )

is what worked --- I think the web site
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/create-index.html was assuming
the creation of a new table.

I am able to have both columns in the index.  My index is named
product_description_search

Would someone show me a sample query from the table?  I have tried to
get this to work during the past half hour and I don't understand this
type of query yet.

Where I am at with my search query that doesn't work is:

SELECT MATCH ( 'product_description_search') AGAINST ( 'Jesus') FROM
shopping_cart_product

Thanks, Ron