ok... this makes more sense now.  I know in the past I tried to do
something similar with table names in the WHERE clause, and that
didn't work in the same manner.

Is there a better way to do what I'm trying to do? that is, sorting
within the SQL statement based on a supplied column name without out
writing multiple SQL statements?

for now my work around is to some thing like:

$sort = mysql_real_escape_string($sort);
$sql = "SELECT * FROM `table` ORDER BY `$sort`";

which makes me queasy because I spent a lot of time getting away from
inlining variables in SQL statements.

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Post TUDBC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Technically, bound parameter is expecting a value, such as
>    WHERE ID=:id
> However, ORDER BY is followed by a field name, such as
>   ORRDER BY ID
> So I don't think it should work.
>
> If it does work, then it is a sign that the database driver is not
> really preparing the statement (as it should for performance reason),
> but it is just substituiting values to compose a SQL (just for your
> convenience).
>
> On 10/31/08, Matthew Peltzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Are pdo bound parameters within an ORDER BY clause broken in php 5.2.5?
>>
>>  I find that in php 5.2.6 this works as expected:
>>
>>  <?php
>>  $sql = 'SELECT * FROM `table` ORDER BY :sort';
>>  $stmt = $pdo->prepare($sql);
>>  $stmt->bindValue(':sort', $sort, PDO::PARAM_STR);
>>  $stmt->execute();
>>  print_r($stmt->fetchAll(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC));
>>  ?>
>>
>>  but under php5.2.5 the ORDER BY clause silently fails.  Also,
>>  parameters bound to SELECT or WHERE or LIMIT clauses function
>>  correctly, but ORDE BY still has no effect.  If I remove the
>>  "$stmt->bindValue(':sort', $sort, PDO::PARAM_STR);" line or the "ORDER
>>  BY :sort" I get a "number of bound variables does not match number of
>>  tokens" error.
>>
>>  So it appears the parsing mechanism is funcitoning, but what ever is
>>  responsible for binding to ORDER BY is not.
>>
>>  I've looked in bug reports and the change logs, but did not find a
>>  explicit reference to this issue.
>>

>>  --
>>  -- Matthew Peltzer
>>  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]