I would think, since you already have different users, so most probably you
would be getting them registered, so maybe at the time of the registration,
you could create folders for each user, and the files they upload would be
on to the folders with their username, the folder securities on the server
should be taken care of.

for instance, if the user is say, Vinay (thats me)

and ur website is www.abcdefg.com then when i register, it would create a
folder for me, so the url would be something like www.abcdefg.com/vinay, and
the files uploaded by me would be in the folder vinay, but the files would
be accesible to me alone, not the other visitors of the website.

Guys please correct me if I am wrong, but I think this is a good possible
way of doing it.

Thanks,
Vinay Kannan