Chris wrote:
David McGlone wrote:
On Monday 14 December 2009 21:02:37 Chris wrote:
David McGlone wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking in the shadows on the list for quite some time and now
I'm in need of a little info or advise.

I'm looking for a way to grab a record out of a database on a certain day
each month and I'm wondering if this can be accomplished with just a
mysql query or would I need to use PHP also?
A mysql query would do it but you'd use something to talk to mysql and
process the results (whether it's php, perl, python, ruby etc depends on
your other requirements).

What I'm trying to do is to have a record picked from the database at random on the 1st of every month and display it on the page. Here is some code I have been working with:

$query = "SELECT DATEADD(mm, DATEDIFF(mm,0,getdate()), 0)";
$result = @mysql_query($query);
if (!$result){

$query = "SELECT * FROM monthlyPooch ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 1";
$result = @mysql_query($query);

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)){
echo "$row[poochName] ";
echo "$row[Birthdate]";

You can check the day of the month in php then do your other query:

$today = date('j');

See http://php.net/date for date formats and what they return.

if ($today !== 1) {
  echo "Today isn't the first. No need to continue.\n";
  exit;
}
..
random query etc here.