> Hi everyone, first thank you for ALL help and the understanding that I am new 
> to PHP and MySQL. This is a long email and for that I apologize but I am 
> trying to provide as much detail as possible. If this is the wrong list to 
> ask for help, kindly direct me to the proper authority.
> I am trying to learn and I have built the following environment.
> Windows Server 2008 Standard 32bit service Pack 2 with IIS7
> mysql-essential-5.1.41-win32
> php-5.3.1-nts-Win32-VC9-x86.msi
> phpMyAdmin-3.2.4-english.zip
> I followed the steps as detailed below (I already had IIS7 and CGI installed)
> 1. Install CGI & PHP
>    http://www.trainsignaltraining.com/iis-7-install-fastcgi-php/2008-09-04/
> 2. Install MySQL
>    http://www.trainsignaltraining.com/install-mysql-on-iis7/2008-09-10/
> 3. Install PHPMyAdmin
> http://www.trainsignaltraining.com/install-phpmyadmin-on-iis7-and-server-2008/2008-09-16/

This is a bit vague on details. In particular, when installing PHP did
you add the required extensions for MySQL, etc at step 6?
Create a test page containing nothing but this:


Open the page in your browser and verify that mysql, gd, and mbstring
are included.  This will verify that:
1) you added them to your php.ini
2) This is the INI file actually being used by the server and not some
random other.

> After I completed the installations
> 1. If I navigate to the PHP directory and type php -info it spews a ton of 
> data at me
>    AND
>    I created info.php which contains:     <?php phpinfo(); ?>
>    When I browse this, it correctly produces a page with all the info about 
> my PHP server. Although I do not understand much of it I believe this 
> confirms PHP is working correctly with IIS
> 2. I open the MySQL CLI and perform the commands outlined in Step 23 at this 
> page
>    http://www.bicubica.com/apache-php-mysql/index.php
>    This returns the expected results, confirming MySQL is working
> 3. PHP is configured to work with php_mysql.dll as per the steps in the 
> trainsignal links above so I begin!
> I go to the phpmyadmin page, enter root and my password and after a long time 
> I get a FastCGI error. I am not ready to believe it because, in classic MS 
> form, it has several VERY different potential causes, and I have covered all 
> of those. Plus the error code is 0x00000000 which is like saying nothing... I 
> start thinking maybe it is not connecting to the mYSQL server right, the 
> instructions re: pma and the password made no sense to me so I fiddle with 
> that with no change.
>    I  write the mysql_test.php page in step 5 of 
> http://www.bicubica.com/apache-php-mysql/index.php
>    This fails with: A connection attempt failed because the connected party 
> did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection 
> failed because connected host has failed to respond.
>    Because the PHP failed I try with ASP...
>    <%
>    set conn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
>    conn.ConnectionString="Driver={mySQL};Server=localhost;Database=test;User 
> Id=root;Password=youwish"
>    conn.open
>    Response.write("Connected")
>    conn.close
>    %>
>    This returns:
>        Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' 
>        [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no 
> default driver specified 
>        /test.asp, line 4
> I believe I have established MySQL is working, but for some reason it appears 
> that it cannot be "reached" This IS on the same server so firewall should not 
> be an issue, PLUS I confirmed the installer did create a hole. I turn off the 
> MS firewall to be safe, no change.... I try a "repair" of MySQL, I uninstall, 
> reboot and reinstall with no change.
> NOTE: at several points I have tried iisreset and/or rebooting the system 
> with no change.
> I start to research the matter and my mind is now unglued. I found something 
> referencing using mcrypt with PHPMyAdmin to speed it up and wondered if maybe 
> the long delay before the FastCGI error could be resolved so I tracked down 
> the dll, put it in my ext directory and changed my php.ini to reflect this -- 
> file found at http://files.edin.dk/php/win32/mcrypt/
> I found quite a bit about using libmysql.dll but there was no such file in my 
> install, I pulled down the .zip package and that also did not contain it, I 
> eventually found it in a 5.2.x archive but that does not seem to have helped. 
> I have tried enabling: only mysql, mysql AND mysqli, and only mysqli. None of 
> this seems to have done anything to change my situation.
> Again, I apologize for the lengthy message, I hope I have accurately 
> described my issue in the right amount of detail.
> Thank You!
> Adam Sonzogni
> -- 
> PHP Database Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
> To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php

Niel Archer
niel.archer (at) blueyonder.co.uk

PHP Database Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php

Reply via email to