From: Jim Giner [mailto:jim.gi...@albanyhandball.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:45 AM
To: php-db@lists.php.net
Subject: [PHP-DB] Re: Stuck trying to upload and grab file name

At the risk of being unable to understand all the posts that are here
already,  here is some std. code that I use when I'm uploading a file.

First - i capture the input field in a local var and all of its components
in other local vars to make my coding easier later on.

$inputfield = $_POST['infile'];    // infile is the html name of the
type='file' field
$destfolder = (where I want the end result stored) $outfile = (the filename
of the end result) $result =
HandleUploadedFile($inputfield,$destfolder,$outfile);
(handle $result after return)
*******

The function I use:

function HandleUploadedFile($inputfield,$destfolder,$outfile)
{    // parm 1 is the name of the type=file field in the html; 2 & 3 are
path and output filename you want to store it in
     global $msg,$ftype,$ferror,$fname,$fsize,$ftmpname;
     $ftype = $_FILES[$inputfield]["type"];
     $ferror = $_FILES[$inputfield]["error"];
     $fname = $_FILES[$inputfield]["name"];
     $fsize = $_FILES[$inputfield]["size"];
     $ftmpname = $_FILES[$inputfield]["tmp_name"];
     // code up acceptabe filetypes here
     if ( $ftype == "text/plain")
         {
         if ($ferror > 0)
         {
             $msg .= ' Upload error - return code was '.$ferror;
             return False;
         }
         else
         {
             if (file_exists($destfolder . $fname))
             {
                 $msg .= " Duplicate filename - upload not done,
continuing.";
                 return True;
             }
             else
             {
                 $msg .= " File has been uploaded to: " . $destfolder
.$outfile;
                 move_uploaded_file($ftmpname,$destfolder . $outfile);
                 return True;
     else
     {
         $msg .= " Invalid file type for menu input upload";
         $msg .= " Type is ".$ftype;
         return False;

You of course want to name your end result like the original filename, so
you will have to make a change to that parameter, but this will work for
you.