I had the same problem.
But as I think, it is just some safety system, because nobody says that
modules from one version must fit to the others. Sometimes the changes in
next versions are too deep.

The ZEND_MODULE_API_NO parameter is defined in Zend/modules.h and
is checked for example in dl function (see ext/standard/dl.c).
As I can see, there're no means to switch it off by a siple #define
or something.

So the best solution is just to recompile.