ID: 8839
Updated by: cmv
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: mcrypt related
Assigned To: derick
Comments:

Just got notice that libmcrypt 2.4.9-beta has been released, and in this version they
have swapped the meaning of "blowfish" and "blowfish-compat" mode.

So, if you try the test scripts I posted on your own server running 2.4.9-beta, then
change "blowfish-compat" back to "blowfish".

- Colin

I'll take care of it as discussed with Colin and Sascha

The way PHP encrypts using Blowfish doesn't seem to be compatible with the published
"standard" test cases.

I've mentioned this to the author of libmcrypt, and he fixed part of the problem (see
the CVS verions of libmcrypt, or whatever comes after 2.4.8).  This adds a
"blowfish-compat" mode which solves some endianness issues.

However, PHP still isn't compatible with Perl's Crypt::Blowfish, nor (I imagine) with
any other software that uses Blowfish encryption.  Also, the 2.2.x and 2.4.x functions
in PHP, when passed the same parameters, don't generate the same encrypted strings.

Here are links to three files: the test vectors from
http://www.counterpane.com/vectors.txt, test scripts using 2.2.x functions and one
using 2.4.x functions, with and without long key handling.

    http://devel.easydns.com/~cmv/

All scripts generate some different results than the test vectors.  The closest to
getting them all right, is the 2.4.x script that emulates Perl keys.  However, it
still gives the "wrong" answer for one test case.

- Colin