Jim,

I can't answer if cygwin is really necessary but it's quite useful
(especially for those that are used to unix style commands).  For
one it contains things like tar and gzip which were necessary
at one point to extract number.tar.gz as well as the PHP source
snapshots (although most Win unzip utilities can do the job also).
Maybe Sam Ruby, who I believe wrote the original set of instructions,
can chime in here.

Speaking of which, I tried to build with the latest CVS and I keep
getting the following link errors.  I guess I can open a bug report but
just curious if anyone knows off hand what happened.

--------------------Configuration: php4dllts - Win32
Release_TSDbg--------------------
Linking...
   Creating library ..\Release_TSDbg/php4ts.lib and object
..\Release_TSDbg/php4ts.exp
string.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _add_index_zval
string.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
_add_assoc_zval_ex
libmysql.lib(my_thr_init.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol _win_pthread_init
libmysql.lib(my_compress.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol _compress
libmysql.lib(my_compress.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol _uncompress
..\Release_TSDbg\php4ts.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 5 unresolved
externals
Error executing link.exe.

Alex