ID: 8986
Updated by: andrei
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: PCRE related
Assigned To:
Comments:

This is documented in the online manual. Please use \\ in front of $ to escape it
(latest CVS).

By the way, no variable replacement is taking place with the "$10.00". It fails if the
script is:

<?php
$test = "hello there";
$output = preg_replace('/hello/','$10.00',$test);
print $output;
?>

as well. The input that I am passing to the function is posted form data. Which
contains valid text up to this function call, afterwhich the replaced text exhibits
the problem described above.

Thanks...

In php_pcre.c line 630, the dollar sign '$' is also used as in indicator for a
backreference, which is undocumented. This breaks any replacement string that contains
the "$dd" pattern where "dd" are numerical digits. For example:

<?php
$test = "hello there";
$output = preg_replace("/hello/","$10.00",$test);
print $output;
?>

results in the output:

.00 there

The "$10" is taken as a back reference and resolves to NULL leaving the ".00".

In my application, I need to merge user generated text that may contain dollar signs.
I am using preg_replace and doing multiple keyword,value substitutions using arrays.

My only workaround right now is to perform a preliminary preg_replace and insert a
space after each dollar sign.