Are resources refence counted, or variables?

I have a muscat_module method I wrote which is of the form:

$new_resource=make_new_object($old_resource);

each resource is a C++ object, and I have to stop $old_resource being
disposed of until $new_resource has also been disposed of.

This is a strict condition, even at end-of-php-page-mass-destruction time.

It seems like there is no destroy order at end-of-page time?
Whats the best way to enforce it?

I think I am going to have to wrap all the C++ objects in more C++ to
implement reference counting- aggh.  Surely there is another way?

Sam