From:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Operating system: linux 2218
PHP version:      4.0.4pl1
PHP Bug Type:     *Configuration Issues
Bug description:  echo `cat /etc/passwd` -- bypasses open_basedir .

Even with open_basedir . configured in php.ini, the following bypasses it with
concerning ease:

        echo `cat /etc/passwd`;

The fact that open_basedir is in force is obvious when we try fopen ("/etc/passwd",
"r"), etc - ie, the expected open_basedir error pops up.

Surely this is not a bug?  If so, is there a way to disable backticks?

I'll wait for some kind of response before I send this to the usual support mailing
lists.

--
Edit Bug report at: http://bugs.php.net/?id=9000&edit=1