listed is to add the ORACLE_SID environment variable, but this only causes
it to try to connect to that SID on the local db.

There are quite a few bugs in the bug database similar to my problem
#6342,#6936,#8132 and others.

Another test I tried was a passthru("tnsping80 mydb") which pinged the db
successfully and implies that its not an environment problem but something
to do with how the oracle DLL's are accessed.

I can pass along dumps of the sqlnet.log files and others if anyone is
interested.

Thanks
Mark Farver

--
"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious enroachment by mean of
zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."