From: "Jason Greene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Zeev Suraski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 9:53 PM
Subject: [PHP-DEV] Re: safe_mode redesign

> Zeev,
>
> I understand your viewpoint, but I respectfully disagree. I believe that
there are multiple levels of security, and that the OS is
> just part of the picture. There always is some layer of application
security(especially for those apps that run id=0). If you are a
> hosting company ( which is becoming a very large business), then you
desire a way to provide your customers with a programming
> interface that does not infringe on other customers, or your systems
security. Without a safe_mode, <? $x = file("/etc/passwd"); ?>
> is still allowed.
>
> While the details get tricky, and sometime complex, the overall concept is
simple. Before any risky activity is performed, check the
> list of things to block. There are tons of applications out there that
perform these  kind of important checks. ProFTPD is a good
> example of one such application. It allows you to lock users into certain
areas, use specific uids etc.

> It seems that your biggest concern is giving users a false sense of
security. This feature is something that would not be used by
> the average user. The people who would mainly be using this would have an
ok knowledge of security, and if you have an ok knowledge,
> then you will know to Never Trust Anything
> There is always a possibility of security methods being penetrated,
everyone just has to be made aware that security is just
> something that rules out the majority of breach attempts. That is why you
need multiple levels

> I believe that performing something similar to a chroot in the lower level
file operations, would lock php itself into a protected
> area. PHP is very modular, and has an excellent lower level API., both of
which makes this a very possible thing.

> I have spent quite a bit of time customizing PHP to work well in a secure
environment, and I have seen other service providers doing
> the same thing. The problem is that ppl are still going to do this whether
its part of the codebase or not. If all of this work was
> combined, then it can be shared, repaired, and optimized by everyone.
>
> A safe programming chapter could be referred to in documentation as "An
experimental security option designed for ISP and hosting