ID: 2483
Updated by: jimw
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: Feature/Change Request
Assigned To:
Comments:

refiling against 4.0.

I know this is nit-picky, but...  Can someone change set_file_buffer() so that its
return values are more like other PHP functions?  Right now it returns false when you
pass it bad file handle, otherwise it returns whatever setvbuf returns.  But setvbuf()
returns zero on success and non-negative if you pass it bad type argument.  The type
is hard-coded, so it should always return zero.  Is there a problem with changing the
return code from

  RETURN_LONG(ret);

  if(ret){
    php3_error(E_WARNING,"illegal value for setvbuf type",id);
    RETURN_FALSE;
    }
  else{
    RETURN_TRUE;
  }

which allows PHP code like

<?
  if(!set_file_buffer($fp))
  {
    print("New buffer size not set!");
  }

?>

Also, this sentence appears in my man page:
The setvbuf() function may be used after a stream is opened but before it is read or
written.

It doesn't return any error when you try to do this, though, so it must just ignore
the request.  How about adding a warning in PHP about trying to set the buffer size
after a read or write?  Or is it too much overhead to track this info?

Thanks,
Leon

ATTENTION! Do NOT reply to this email!
To reply, use the web interface found at http://bugs.php.net/?id=2483&edit=2