On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> Sascha, I'm having a bit of trouble grasping why the Expires directive is
> set to a date in the past when cache-control is set to private.  ie.

    As there is no way to differentiate between user agents and
    proxies in HTTP/1.0 with regard to expiration options, we
    tell all clients to never cache a page.

    HTTP/1.1 conforming clients will ignore the Expires header,
    as it is overwritten by Cache-Control: max-age (see RFC 2616,
    section 13.2.4 Expiration Calculations).

    - Sascha