Hello Ron,

On 11-Feb-01 20:48:54, you wrote:

>There are some people out there working on different multiplexors
>and db pool mechanisms for PHP, look in the archives for "application
>server", "connection pooling", etc. But you may find that simply killing
>off your processes sooner may do just what you need. Tune it down,
>and balance your apache-process-creation-speed against your hardware-
>resource-requirements. Since apache's spare process spawning happens
>in the background (not related to a page load), you shouldn't
>see any horrible differences unless you drop it too low (say, 10
>connections before dying. :-) )...

Once I have though of developing a connection pooling proxy server for
Metabase but then I gave up because since PHP does not support
multi-threading it would be too slow to be useful.

I also thought of making a backend Apache server a sort connection pool
manager with a limited number of opened server processes to make sure there
will never be too many database server connections opened at once, as you
also suggested.

I wanted to get back to this problem because Tuxedo like solutions are too
expensive to be considered.  However I no longer have the time to work on
that.

So, I am about to open the source of Metabase so more qualified developers
can actively work on problems like this.  Since you exhibited such
experience in complex matters like this, I wonder if you would be
interested to join what will become the Metabase core developers team.

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

Web Programming Components using PHP Classes.
Look at: http://phpclasses.UpperDesign.com/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]
--
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP key: http://www.mlemos.e-na.net/ManuelLemos.pgp