From:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Operating system: Linux 2.2.x
PHP version:      4.0.4pl1
PHP Bug Type:     Compile Problem
Bug description:  Installation problems with Slackware

To succesfully install PHP4 on Slackware 7.1:

First configure on Apache:

./configure --with-layout=Slackware --enable-module=so --prefix=/www

Configure on PHP:

./configure --with-mysql=shared --with-apache=/var/lib/apache --enable-track-vars

Second configure on Apache:

./configure --with-layout=Slackware --enable-module=so --prefix=/var/lib/apache
--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

There are other layouts for RedHat etc. in the config.layout file in the Apache
directory. The example is for Slackware, but I think it's worth mentioning the
layout-option at least once in the manual.

Took me about an hour to figure it out (not bad for a newbe on Linux ...) ;-))))

Mark.

--
Edit Bug report at: http://bugs.php.net/?id=9221&edit=1